Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Heather, Ace Detective - Maybe

Another day, another adventure in the grey-upholstered, floursecent-lit world I work in. Today I got to play super-sleuth. The situation: Our victim, a small, defenseless note, was noticed missing at approximately 12:16 p.m. Those who had accompanied it and guaranteed its safe passage could not account for its whereabouts. I, being the ace detective that I am, and reputed far and wide for my unmatched skills in the art of discovering foul play, was naturally called upon to assist in the case.

Suspect #1: Myself. I have been known to have lost a document or two in the depths of my desk, startlingly cluttered as it can be at times. But after a thorough investigation of every nook and cranny surrounding me, I was able to deduce that I was not, in fact, responsible.
Suspect #2: The delivery boy. (Closer by day - kidnapper by night?) After extensive questioning, he claimed that he had searched his car and the floor outside his building in a frenzy when he found out it was missing. I myself walked outside into the bright daylight to check the grounds and under vehicles to see if it was a mere mistake. I did not find it, but a gut feeling tells me this kid is not the culprit.
Suspect #3: The shipping supervisor. (Petty thug or thief extraordinaire?) The delivery boy had taken her a file and thought that maybe our missing note was hidden beneath its manilla covering, like the sweet filling of a jelly donut. Or had she stolen it? Further investigation would be sure to unearth some motive or another.
Suspect #4: The Payroll department. (Mafia of the mortgage world?) The branch manager suggested that perhaps the delivery boy had stuffed the missing note in the inbox for the payroll department in his haste to return to his job. A quick run-over at the receptionist's desk revealed nothing of the sort. Unless someone from the payroll department had noticed the misplaced note early on and had taken advantage of the mistake, no doubt with the intent to use it as blackmail to up their chances of advancement or perhaps a fatter Christmas bonus in their bank account.

Exhausted from the day's hard work, I finally sat back down into my familiar faux-leather chair to begin putting the pieces together. I had not been in my own thoughts for 10 minutes when a member of the funding team found me in my frustrations. What she had for me was truly startling: Our missing note!

And so, needless to say, all was made right again. The corporate world resumed its menial tasks and mundane procedures, but they did it with a greater sense of security, knowing that Heather, Ace Detective, would always be on the case.

All that's left to say is, this was a job well done.

3 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Shouldn't Ms. Funding Team chick have earned the title Ace Detective? She was the one, after all, who found the note...

Teresa said...

You are totally stealing Funding's glory. Shamity shame shame.