Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pro-Integrity!

I was reading up on some celebrity presidential opinions today, and I was going to say I was surprised at what I read, but I'm really not. They're candidate choices mean nothing to me - I know we all have our freedom to choose and that's great, but what always gets me is the lack of respect that celebrities (and not only them - I've been reading about a surprising amount of average-joe disrespectful voters) have in regards to everyone going against their prime choices. To me, when someone flaunts an unnecessary dislike toward a presidential candidate in the form of insults, it's an easy way to tell that said person probably doesn't have any knowledge about all parties, (likely not even a substantial knowledge of the one they are supporting!) and a general absence of integrity. This is what scares me more than any potentially unfit presidential hopeful - a nation of free voters without the ability to vote intelligently.
I will say though, that I was happy to see a few celebrities who gave their opinions tactfully by praising the opposition instead of degrading them. And I don't mean to lift myself above the majority either, because I am certainly working on being more knowledgeable about all of my options, but for heaven's sake, I don't say that I'm going to leave the country if so-and-so wins. That's just stupid. But hey, if you want to leave the country, don't let Lady Liberty hold you back. It will just up the intelligence ratio here a bit anyway.

1 comment:

Krista said...

I totally agree! I don't think people really know what they are doing in the voting arena these days. They are just looking for someone who has charisma and will give them what they want. Alot of people are just looking to be "taken care of" by Uncle Sam, without realizing the implications. Scary. Glad to see there are still people who are focused on the implications of their choice, rather than what "sounds good".