Monday, November 10, 2008

Creativity Rears It's Awesome Head

Ok, I'm such a nerd, but I want to post this because I love it so much. You might not know this, but I absolutely love the iconic symbols of reindeer. Deer in general are fabby, but when Christmas comes around, I start getting excited because I get to pull out all my reindeer stuff to decorate with. Every year I buy a decorative reindeer as well as a stuffed/cutesy reindeer. So I was at Joann's recently and saw the coolest little deer charm (I have been on this gigantic creative streak lately, and I have been wanting to make all sorts of stuff, like food, jewelry, and clothes) so I needed to make something with it. It's nothing much, but here's my little deer necklace:


I have worn it three days in a row - that shows you what sort of a dork I am. But I am upset because people keep thinking it's a chihuahua. :( Anyway, one day I will be good enough so that I can actually play a bigger part in the development of such pieces, instead of just buying the pieces and putting them together. I've been reading up on jewelry-making during today's slow hours. :D

Here are a couple other things I've been keeping myself busy with:


First: My coat. You have no idea how exciting this is for me. I have had the pieces for this coat cut out for I think three years, and I am only putting it together now. Victory! I have a hard time making sense of the pattern instructions, so I have been having my mom basically tell me what to do while I go do it. I need to have her tell me what everything means, pattern-wise. All I have left to do is the hemming, buttons and pockets, I believe.
Second: Those earrings. Yeah, they look a bit odd, but they are for a friend, and they are more for collections sake than for wearing, since they have a mutual meaning for us both, but this friend loves flashy stuff, so she will wear them anyway. I just wanted to post them because I was pleased with how they turned out.
I'm also doing some secret fun Christmas gift stuff, so stay tuned!!

2 comments:

Linds said...

I'm impressed!! the only clothing items I ever made were some pajama pants. I did the same thing you're doing: I would ask my mom what to do and then go do it.

Teresa said...

That, my dear girls, is what mommies are for!