Monday, January 5, 2009

There's A Spider On The Wall...

...And I'm afraid to kill it. Spider-squishing is a mood thing. Some days I'm not afraid at all (like a month or so ago, when I saw a spider on a box above my head, stood up, took off my shoe, and initiated a powerful WHACK that startled my coworkers), and some days I am. Days seem to affect my mood, and today is a Monday. Since it has not been proven otherwise, I will be forced to assume that deep down in the heart of the most dreaded day of the week, lies the evil and sinister power of FEAR.
It's kind of funny though, since I'm not usually afraid of spiders, and here I am, inching my way past it, since I can't give it a wide berth, given the narrowness of space between the wall and the cubicles. I figure it will eventually make its way up the wall and behind the clock, or make it to the little mysterious hole that seems to serve no purpose. Or maybe overnight it will find its way into my plant, as that seems to be a favorite spot among spiders. My old pet spider Houdini used to live there. Haha ok ok, on with the post.

Now, I know that a lot of the time, at least with the younger generation, we tend to get on the internet out of habit, and then poke around not knowing what to do. I figured I'd provide some alternatives to my above-mentioned verb "poking around" and list some productive things I sometimes do online while I wait for things, like my notes to get signed, or my reports to load (which, surprisingly, can take a reeeaaaally long time). And if nobody cares, this is here for my benefit anyway, since it's easier to have one place to go when I need something to do. :D

1. www.freerice.com
This is so much fun! You go to this website and you test yourself on subjects like math, geography, language - all while donating rice to third-world countries for every correct answer (For free! The sponsors pay for it). You may not be geeky like me, but I love learning these kinds of things, and I now know practically every country in the world, and it makes me feel smart. I like to feel smart.

2. www.chordbook.com
Since I'm not good with knowing what notes and chords sound like in my head, I can't just take a break, pull out my guitar and write them down while at work. So I go to this website and figure what I hear in my head, then write it down to put into a song later. It's pretty dang awesome.

3. http://puzzles.about.com/library/java/blfourrivers.htm
This is just a fun, mellow game I like to play. Kind of like Mah Jongg.

(P.S. my coworker just squished the spider. O_o) haha

4. http://obscuresound.com/
I adore this blog. If you like finding obscure music like I do, you will adore this blog too. (Note: I directed you here once before, when I mentioned Katzenjammer.) :)

5. www.literaturepage.com
Books! I love to read. This is a good place for lots of classics, so if you're into classics, heeeeere ya go.

6. http://www.splicemusic.com/
Make your own music and remixes! Pretty fun.

7. http://www.officehumorblog.com/
The Office Humor Blog! Not only does this website offer awesome pranks to pull, office-related poetry, jokes, and other stories, but it links to many other fun places, like websites that sell amazing office-worthy toys like a USB-powered plastic cannon, an air-gun, mugs, stickers, and document stamps (My favorite: "I don't have time to read this crap!")

And there you have it. My favorite productive internet time-wasters. Enjoy!

So I started on the hoodies I was going to make my siblings for Christmas. The first one is coming along really nicely, but my mom and I can't figure out how to use the button-holer. (Well, she can't remember, I just have no idea. :D) But I googled it today and I think I may have it. Bwahaha! I still need to finish my coat! But of course....all that's left are the buttons. Haha.

So I'm about to go on my lunch break over to Borders to pick up one of three books I need: The complete works of Jane Austen, Book 2 of the Gentleman's Trilogy, or Book 2 of A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm just not sure which. D: Waaauuugh, decisions! I only have one coupon right now!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Spiders don't have the effect on me that they did a few years ago. In fact they seem quite a natural thing. I just squish them and go on with life. Some of them are disgustingly large. How they get that big...I have no clue.

It sounds like you have some extra time on your hands.:) I was trying to figure out the whole USB cannon ball thing. I have to say I would find it amusing. I didn't find it. :(

Sparkle, Sparkle!

Teresa said...

Perhaps the seemingly useless hole in the wall is like the one from my deepest fear. There was a movie when I was a kid (Bad Arnold or something--maybe that was just his name) about this family (mom and girls) who move into a new house. It's a horror flick (probably why I hate them--it scarred me for life!). Anyway, there is a guy that lives in the walls and has all these little holes to watch them. Uber creepy. And I have to make sure that walls are not thick enough to house a psycopath now. Anywho, have a good one and remember I love you bunches! Mom